Visit http://friendshipbaptistchurchoh.org/aboutUs.html and worship with us at 1483 Lake Rd, Lakemore, OH 44250 (Akron, OH), and email our pastor at [email protected]
The Lead-Up & Let Down | Gideon Part 2 (of…?)
Gideon continues faithless actions, producing a fruitless legacy
 Eze 17:8,  John 15:4
In glaring divergence to the predictable copy-paste formatting of Hollywood’s happily ever after, God doesn’t reveal a character pivot in Gideon as we trudge through JUDGES 7 (our home base this morning). Gideon continues to tip-toe the blurry line of defiant and reliant, regarding God’s guidance and promises. Gideon is a picture-perfect example of someone mighty in flesh meek in faith  Matt 16:8
TOO MUCH FIREPOWER, v.1-3
• 32,000 reasons why God doesn’t want victory to be too easy
o If it was easy – everyone would be doing it! The deception of Satan, and the warning of God
God’s perfect wisdom keeps us from having an “I” problem… and not seeing clearly
•  Is 14:13-14,  Ps 115:5-6
God doesn’t want the spotlight on mighty men, but rather on His mighty miracles
•  John 21:25
THE REAL 300 (AGAINST A REALLY BIG NUMBER OF ENEMIES), v.4-7
• God weans the warriors down to 10,000, and finally down to a mere 300
o God can (and often does) the biggest miracles with nothing more than crumbs, dust, and spit
Crumbs  Mark 6:41-43, Dust  Gen 2:7, Spit  John 9:6
o The final tally of Midian’s armed forces was 135,000 (SEE 8:10)
GOD GIVES GIDEON A SHOT AT REDEMPTION, v.12-15
• Gideon won’t *actively* heed the words of God, he only passively hears them  James 2:20
o God intentions will always be done, He’s faithful to see things through to the end, even if we’re not willing participants, His patient loving kindness exceeds our own capacity/understanding
o v.15 – Gideon’s first sign of a pulse, all because he eavesdropped on strangers
God gave Gideon just what he needed, when he needed it (Room of Requirement)
STEALING GOD’S CREDIT WITH VAINGLORY (…AND OF GIDEON), v.18-23
• Taking on to God’s accomplishments is tacky, corrupts our testimony, and erodes humility
o Who do you think you are and where were you when _____? Gut/reality check  Job 38:4
o Be vigilant and circumspect to recognize and FIND ways to be used of the LORD  Ex 23:13
o v.23 – if only they (we) would pursue God so fervently  Rom 12:11-12
Spiritual food for thought… Col 3:10-11 – And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: (11) Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
1. Eze 17:8 KJV – It was planted in a good soil by great waters, that it might bring forth branches, and that it might bear fruit, that it might be a goodly vine.
2. Jhn 15:4 KJV – Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
3. Mat 16:8 KJV – Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?
4. Isa 14:13 KJV – For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: (14) I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
5. Psa 115:5 KJV – They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: (6) They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not:
6. Jhn 21:25 KJV – And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
7. Mar 6:41 KJV – And when he had taken the five loaves and the two fishes, he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and brake the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them; and the two fishes divided he among them all. (7) And they did all eat, and were filled. (8) And they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments, and of the fishes.
8. Gen 2:7 KJV – And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
9. Jhn 9:6 KJV – When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,
10. Jas 2:20 KJV – But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
11. Job 38:4 KJV – Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
12. Exo 23:13 KJV – And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
13. Rom 12:11 KJV – Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; (12) Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
More info on Gideon: The Lead-Up & Let Down, Part 2 (Judges 7) | Friendship Baptist Church, Akron Ohio
[ss_rss url=”https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Gideon: The Lead-Up & Let Down, Part 2 (Judges 7) | Friendship Baptist Church, Akron Ohio&format=rss” feeds=”5″]