Top 10 facts about Akron Ohio you probably didn’t know about.
10. Akron has a street called East Avenue on the westside of the city.
9. Golden State Warriors basketball player was born In Akron Ohio. His father Dell Curry played for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
8. John Heisman of Heisman Trophy Fame served as the football and baseball coach at Buchtel College (now the University of Akron) between 1893 and 1894.
7. The First police car which was made from a wagon ran off of electricity was used by the Akron police department in 1899. The first operator of the police patrol wagon was Akron Police officer Louis Mueller, Sr. It could reach 16 mph (26 km/h) and travel 30 mi (48 km) before its battery needed to be recharged. The car was built by city mechanical engineer Frank Loomis. The US,400 vehicle was equipped with electric lights, gongs, and a stretcher. The car’s first assignment was to pick up a drunken man at the junction of Main and Exchange streets.
6. Akron is home to the annual National Hamburger Festival, which includes a competition called “Bobbing for Burgers”, in which participants attempt to pull burgers out of a tub of ketchup without using their hands. Akron is home of the inventors of the hamburger Frank And Charles Menches who are one of the half dozen people claiming to have invented the first hamburger in 1885 New York State Fair in Hamburg, NY, Frank and Charles ran out of pork for the sandwiches they were vending from their concession booth and instead choose use ground beef.
5. Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) was founded in 1935 by Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith in Akron, Ohio. Founders Day is celebrated annually because of the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous within the city.
4. Charles Arthur “Pretty Boy” Floyd was a gangster famous for a series of daring bank robberies, shootouts and escapes at the height of the Great Depression. March 8, 1930, his luck soured in Akron, when two of his gang members had a shoot out with Akron police. The police captured one of the gang members, and that afternoon, Akron-area detectives broke down the front door of the gang’s hideout and captured three outlaws, including Pretty Boy.
3. The Devil Strip The grassy area between the street and the sidewalk. This term is unique to the Akron, Ohio area.
2. Judith Resnik was the second American female astronaut in space, logging in 145 hours in orbit. A graduate of Firestone high school 1966. She scored a perfect SAT score. She received a bachelors degree in electrical engineering Carnegie Mellon University in 1970 and a phd from the university of Maryland in 1977. She died on January 28th 1986 when the space shuttle challenger was destroyed during launch. She has an elementary school named in her honor.
1. The Pickles family from the Nickelodeon show “Rugrats” was originally from Akron.
Some of the sources I used to research this video
More info on Top 10 Akron Ohio Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
Top 10 Akron Ohio Facts You Probably Didn't Know - BingNews Search results
Secrets Peloton Instructors Don't Want You to Know
Peloton instructors have become enormous celebrities. Here are secrets they don't want you to know. (And yes, they know you have a crush.) ...
Year in review 2: A look at The St. Tammany Farmer’s top 10 sports stories of 2020-21
Last week, we began to revisit the craziness of sports since August 2020. The pandemic obviously touched all of our lives, and it was no different in gymnasiums or on ball fields across the parish. We ...
Love Island: 17 Things You Need To Know About This Year's Islanders
We’re going to be seeing a hell of a lot more of them in the coming weeks as Love Island fever undoubtedly grips the nation once again, so if you’re gagging for the skinny on the Islanders, there’s a ...
The NFL's top 11 interior defensive linemen
Modern interior defensive linemen are asked to do more than ever. Who are the NFL’s best interior disruptors today?
The West Block — Episode 39, Season 10
This week on The West Block: The shot that misfired. Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer: “I totally recognize that this is difficult for many. Those who received two doses of AstraZeneca, ...
Khadija Shaw: 10 things you didn’t know
Here are 10 things you may or may not know about our new Blue… Khadija is rarely called by her actual name – instead, everyone uses her nickname ‘Bunny!’ It’s a moniker she’s had since she was a child ...
Best Testosterone Booster – Top 5 Test Boosters 2021 [Reviews & Buyer Guid
Have you noticed that more and more young men are starting to look for the best testosterone booster? A couple of decades ago, it ...
Money News You’ll Really Use: June 15, 2021
The economy is getting confusing, the real estate market is becoming worrisome, and I just invested in something new.
Top Workplaces Cincinnati: CEOs at TQL, McCluskey Chevrolet and Al. Neyer win awards
"I have confidence in the leader of this company." More than 35,000 workers at 189 firms across the Cincinnati area were asked that question as part of the Top Workplaces Cincinnati 2021 survey. This ...
10 things to know before racing Unbound Gravel
Here are her top-10 ... cheer you on and encourage you to keep going." "You almost can't even keep track of everything that hurts. Hotfoot is really common - it's things that maybe didn't come ...
10 Things You May Not Know About ‘Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror’
In a way it’s a double edged sword, it’s a blessing because you know things ... probably pass you in the street at some point and have no idea.” And it was at that point that I was like, oh, he really ...