Top 10 facts about Akron Ohio you probably didn’t know about.
10. Akron has a street called East Avenue on the westside of the city.
9. Golden State Warriors basketball player was born In Akron Ohio. His father Dell Curry played for the Cleveland Cavaliers.
8. John Heisman of Heisman Trophy Fame served as the football and baseball coach at Buchtel College (now the University of Akron) between 1893 and 1894.
7. The First police car which was made from a wagon ran off of electricity was used by the Akron police department in 1899. The first operator of the police patrol wagon was Akron Police officer Louis Mueller, Sr. It could reach 16 mph (26 km/h) and travel 30 mi (48 km) before its battery needed to be recharged. The car was built by city mechanical engineer Frank Loomis. The US,400 vehicle was equipped with electric lights, gongs, and a stretcher. The car’s first assignment was to pick up a drunken man at the junction of Main and Exchange streets.
6. Akron is home to the annual National Hamburger Festival, which includes a competition called “Bobbing for Burgers”, in which participants attempt to pull burgers out of a tub of ketchup without using their hands. Akron is home of the inventors of the hamburger Frank And Charles Menches who are one of the half dozen people claiming to have invented the first hamburger in 1885 New York State Fair in Hamburg, NY, Frank and Charles ran out of pork for the sandwiches they were vending from their concession booth and instead choose use ground beef.
5. Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) was founded in 1935 by Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith in Akron, Ohio. Founders Day is celebrated annually because of the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous within the city.
4. Charles Arthur “Pretty Boy” Floyd was a gangster famous for a series of daring bank robberies, shootouts and escapes at the height of the Great Depression. March 8, 1930, his luck soured in Akron, when two of his gang members had a shoot out with Akron police. The police captured one of the gang members, and that afternoon, Akron-area detectives broke down the front door of the gang’s hideout and captured three outlaws, including Pretty Boy.
3. The Devil Strip The grassy area between the street and the sidewalk. This term is unique to the Akron, Ohio area.
2. Judith Resnik was the second American female astronaut in space, logging in 145 hours in orbit. A graduate of Firestone high school 1966. She scored a perfect SAT score. She received a bachelors degree in electrical engineering Carnegie Mellon University in 1970 and a phd from the university of Maryland in 1977. She died on January 28th 1986 when the space shuttle challenger was destroyed during launch. She has an elementary school named in her honor.
1. The Pickles family from the Nickelodeon show “Rugrats” was originally from Akron.
Some of the sources I used to research this video
More info on Top 10 Akron Ohio Facts You Probably Didn’t Know
Top 10 Akron Ohio Facts You Probably Didn't Know - BingNews Search results
The top 11 interior defensive linemen in the 2021 draft class
Stat to Know: In his last two collegiate games — the Rose Bowl against Notre Dame, and the national championship game against Ohio State — Barmore totaled two sacks, one quarterback hit, nine ...
Consensus Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2021-22 Men’s College Basketball Season
At the end of every single men's NCAA college basketball tournament—typically before "One Shining Moment" has even finished playing—the internet is inundated with way-too-early top-25 rankings for the ...
Shaggy Reflects on His 2001 Takeover: ‘When You Mention Dancehall, You Have to Mention My Name’
Our 2001 Week continues with an interview with Shaggy, as he looks back on the biggest year of his career, including breakout hits “It Wasn’t Me” and “Angel.” ...
The top 11 offensive tackles in the 2021 draft class
Now, those who watched Slater dominate Ohio State ... penalties from 10 in 2018 to five in 2020. He didn’t face a ton of top-level edge-rushers, but the tape (for the most part) backs up his ...
Top 10 Lessons of the Archegos Collapse
Plus, they discuss Archegos Capital's margin call and the ripple effect (and lessons) for investors. To catch full episodes of all The Motley Fool's free podcasts, check out our podcast center. To get ...
Editorial Roundup: Ohio
Jon Husted covers himself in shame by not disavowing ‘Wuhan Virus’ tweet Ohio Lt. Gov. Jon Husted is a savvy and reasonable man who clearly aims for higher office. So why is Husted so dead set against ...
Why Every Top-10 NBA Contender Will and Won't Win a Title This Year
You know how illusionists will wow by making things disappear ... But who's the last NBA champion who didn't have a consensus top 10 player on the roster? Lately, a lot of champs have more ...
Layla Reveals Which Top Former WWE Star Came Up With Split Divas Title Idea
There’s certain highlights that are great, and there’s certain things that I was like ... s what I had to do because I didn’t want to lose my job. “I know that they were worried to lose their job.
10 things the 'pandemic doctors' revealed to Dr. Sanjay Gupta about their time fighting Covid-19
Here are 10 things ... Oh it's flu, it's flu.' And then the next thing you know, SARS was all over the world -- in Canada, in Australia, all over the place," he added. "So, they were not very ...
Chris Graham: The Top 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Ralph Sampson and Ricky Stokes
But and a lot of times, as you well know, Ralph intimidated people. So it was just a great time. He didn’t make mistakes ... at things, Julius Erving and Bill Russell are my top two people ...
Top 10 most devastating moments from The Bachelor franchise
While Kirk first let Carly know he was “a little behind” in his feelings, Carly didn’t seem to take ... the Final Rose special? Oh, hell no! You had your chance! 10. Kaitlyn Bristowe doesn ...
Top 10 confusing things about the 2020-21 Celtics
1. Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown are wonderful talents. They were both deserving All-Stars. They are players you can build around, as they fit the ideals of the modern wing player almost perfectly.